Firework complaints frequent in Hampton this year

ABOVE: A firework show followed the band’s performance on Tuesday, July 3 at the Franklin County Fairgrounds.

The Hampton Police Department stayed busy throughout June and July responding to fireworks complaints.

From June 2 to July 6, Police Chief Bob Schaefer said the department fielded 18 complaints and issued two citations. The first citation was issued to Robbie Oehlert, 18 of Hampton, on July 1. Nathan Harms, 28 of Hampton, was cited on July 4. Schaefer said comparatively, the department received 20 complaints from June 17 to July 12 last year. However, Schaefer said 17 of the 18 complaints this year were received from June 23 to July 5.

Schaefer said the high number of complaints the last two years could be linked to the increased availability of fireworks since the sale in state became legal last year. This is the first year retailers have sold in Hampton. Even though the sale of fireworks is allowed in the city, city ordinance prohibits the use of fireworks without a permit.

“This year has been a learning experience,” said Schaefer. “We’re hoping next year people know and if not, we need to get ahead of it and plaster it all over that it’s illegal.”

For the full story, see this week's Hampton Chronicle. Subscribe by calling 1-800-558-1244 ext 122 or email Deb at circulation@midamericapub.com or by clicking here.